Summer Sports Eating…Made Simple
By Emily Edison, MS.RD. Momentum Nutrition & Fitness
Sleeping in? Slumber parties at friends? Are you sleeping your nutrition away?
As you enter the “off season” from school sports, it is important to remember: keep eating like an athlete. Simple tips to follow to keep your nutrition plan on track (and catch a few extra zzzz’s):
- Eat Breakfast: Eat an energy packed breakfast every day, even if you sleep in. Set your alarm and eat at least 2 hours before practice to maximize energy during workouts (you can go back to sleep). Try: Large bowl of oatmeal with peanut butter, banana and milk. More Ideas
- Power up for Practice: Eat a meal 2-3 hours before practice and a light snack in the hour before. Drink a big glass of water with each meal and snack.
- Drink Up: Drink at least half your body weight in ounces each day. A 160-pound athlete needs at least 80 ounces of water per day. Drink 20 ounces of all natural sport drink each hour during practice when it is hot.
- Recover: Drink and eat within 30 minutes of practice. Try chocolate milk and fruit, or a yogurt smoothie for replenishing tired muscles.
- Rest: Have a no bummer summer by getting plenty of rest. Research shows fatigue increases risk of injury, so shoot for 8 hours of sleep time.
Learn more at WINForum!